Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Livin' Large

Since my last post, I've done the following:

- Eaten a pile of sushi I made for myself
- Won $150 by finishing 19th out of 470 in an online poker tournament
- Went to the racetrack and had a grand old time with Julie and a bunch of old men
- Watched the Arena Football playoffs and thought about upgrading my Soul season tickets
- Gone to a BBQ

That adds up to pretty good times.

I just passed my one year anniversary at my place of employment, and I almost can't believe how much my life has changed since then. I still play D&D on a weekly basis and I still am lucky enough to date a great girl, but beyond that almost EVERYTHING about my life has changed.

The source of changes pretty consistently came back to one thing: money. Money can't buy happiness, that's for sure... but it can certainly PREVENT you from happiness. Ever since I got this particular job, I haven't ever had to worry about picking up extra shifts at the end of the month or whether or not the bills are going to get paid. I'm still really really careful with my money... mostly through force of habit because things were tight for so long... but I don't need to do any advanced math anymore to see if I can afford to go to the movies on the weekend. I'm not going to be buying a yacht anytime soon, but it is absolutely incredible how much less stress there is in my life just because I don't need to worry about rent money.

What's next for me? I don't know. But if I'm even half as lucky over the next year as I've been this last year, I should be in pretty good shape.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's nice to "finally arrive", isn't it? Took quite a while for me, but it's a great feeling to finally feel that little pit of security. Now is the time to save, to squirrel money away, to learn how to budget for good times and bad, to enjoy when you have a little extra and how not to squander when you have more than you thought.

Enjoy, but enjoy smartly. May not have seemed it at the time, but you're fortunate to have gone thru' the rough parts when you were young. It'll help to build the habits and skills that will carry you thru' the rest of your life.

Unfortunately my rough times came after several years of living well and making good money, so that adjustment was very difficult and very taxing.

Anonymous said...

Finally Son. I knew all along that you had the skill and knowledge, but I was never sure until the last two years whether you would apply that great "gene pool" your Mom and Dad gave you as a legacy. I am proud and relieved in your success. To many more years of success but the continued memory of those difficult times and the ability to save for yourself and help those you wish because you can!