Sunday, February 27, 2005

Oscar Night

At least one person (okay, actually ONLY one person) invited me to an Oscar party this year: you know, the kind of party where there's a red carpet out in front and everybody comes dressed up. And then you drink. A lot.

That's really all the Oscars are to me anyway: an excuse to go to a theme party. I mean seriously, is there anybody out there that still thinks that the Oscars are actually relevent? I know I stopped paying attention when "Forrest Gump" won Best Picture over BOTH "Pulp Fiction" AND "Shawshank Redemption". I know this stuff is purely subjective, but come on...

And don't even get me started on "Beautiful Mind". I've never walked out of a movie before, but I've come close a couple of times, and watching the gilded, sappy spin Ron Howard put on Dr. Nash's life story was one of them. (The most recent near walkout was during "Constantine" when Keanu Reeves pulled out a gold-plated shotgun with a crucifix on it... another one of my favorite comic books ruined by a movie adaptation.)

This year is particularly brutal because I've only seen ONE of the movies up for Best Picture: "Million Dollar Baby", which was twice as good as any THREE movies I saw this year.

No comments: