Friday, July 08, 2005

Ten Percent

"No man is an island," and all that jazz.

Things are going pretty well for me, and the London attacks served as another reminder of just how lucky I've been for a long time running now.

When the biggest complaint I have is "I spent Monday and Tuesday refactoring code that should've been done last week"... well, it doesn't amount to much, really.

Someone once said 90% of life is what happens to you and 10% is how you react to it. I've been a lot happier ever since I started concerning myself solely with that 10% (heck, just that little bit is quite enough). But that doesn't mean that you can ever completely isolate yourself from that other 90%.

Nor should you. And so, I'm allowed to be depressed by the London attacks. I'm not a kid: I've learned by now that humanity is capable of soaring to incredible heights AND sinking to unimaginable lows.

But if I stop being surprised by those lows, I'll feel that I've lost something.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it's actually
10 percent is what happens to you and 90 percent is how you react to it..