Monday, March 07, 2005

Crack Horse

On Saturday night I got together with some friends at the ol' Dave & Buster's. Typically, the girlfriend and I play the "Jurassic Park" shooter game and then we sort of wander around and play random stuff until we get tired and go home.

This time, though, on a whim I decided to try the Sega "Derby Owner's Club", which is this huge horse racing simulation game where you raise a horse, train it, and race it. It's been around for a while, but it looked so big and intimidating (and dumb) that I never tried it.

So I sit down and put my money in, pick a stallion and a mare, and next thing I know I've got my horse, which I named "I Eat Children". Then you pick one method of training out of a list of 8, feed your horse a food out of a list of varying size, and then race the horse against computer opponents and the other people sitting around you.

I didn't get up for a loooong time. The worst part was, everybody I came with joined me. Before I knew it, our social outing had turned into a pixelated horse racing contest. "I Eat Children", incidentally, managed to win one of the 8 races.. very exciting stuff. You even get a card with your horse's information on it so that you can reload it when you come back. The potential for future money wasted is staggering.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Sounds pretty cool. I daren't try it. I get addicted to things like that... then the negative potential life swings are dangerous. Living under the freeway overpass in a fridge box, begging affluent business men for game tokens, selling my soul for free games... OH THE INSANITY!!

Thinking about how much I could spend on something like that makes my 4 years of playing UO seem like a true bargain.

Yeager said...

I think the only reason I haven't gotten hooked on some MMORPG at this point is that my computer is too slow to handle any of them.

Anonymous said...

Crack Horse eh? I know a Crack Horse - and the music rocks! Check it out at: www.myspace.com/crackhorsemusic