Monday, March 21, 2005

Untold Stories

I actually did some writing tonight for the first time in probably 9 months or so.

There was a time when I was convinced I was going to write for a living. That was before I found out just how ridiculously hard it is to discipline yourself to do it.. even at my most prolific late in college, I STILL couldn't get myself to sit still and just write EVERY DAY the way you need to if you really want to call yourself a writer. People claim that they're going to "get serious about their writing" the same way they claim that they're going to start going to the gym on a regular basis.. they think they mean it, but very few are ever going to make or take the time for it.

It's why, even though I may not like authors like John Grisham or Tom Clancy, I still have immense respect for anyone who has the discipline to sit down and write a book from beginning to end. Anyone who thinks writing isn't hard work should try to make a living off of it for a year; I guarantee that would change their attitude pretty quickly.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn right, and that's especially true of the RPG Industry. One has to juggle about 12 projects at once if he has any hope of making money. Forget a social life.

Anonymous said...

Too true. I dabble. If I had to do it for a paycheck I'd either starve, or completely sell out and become the next Michael Crichton of the Fantasy genre. Some day that man might have an original idea. Maybe. But at least he's gettin' paid.

Anonymous said...

Hey this blog thingy is cool!!! I want one but I'm not "computer savy" maybe my awesome older cousin could help me out because goodness knows I'm blonde and could never figure it out myself!!!! lols! <3
The little cousin noone wanted ~Elle

Anonymous said...

Holy F Yeags... it's good to hear that you're writing again! That's fantastic!