Sunday, March 27, 2005

March Madness

I spent Friday night glued to the television set, watching Villanova play a game I didn't think they were capable of playing against heavily favored North Carolina. In the end, a horrific traveling call snatched any chance of a Villanova win out from under them, but I had to take a step back for a moment and remember that before tipoff I predicted that Nova would be down 20 by halftime. The fact that they were in the game at all, without their best player, was nothing short of remarkable.

Of course, all anybody wants to talk about now is the traveling call, and that's too bad. It's also too bad that the Villanova students present at the game decided to hurl objects onto the court after the final horn sounded. Maybe one day the student body at my alma mater will realize that this just looks like a bunch of suburban white kids throwing a temper tantrum and will show a little class in the future... but hey, that wasn't exactly the student body's modus operandi when I was there, so I'm not going to get my hopes up.

On the bright side, a tough loss like that means that the juniors on the team who may have been toying with the idea of going to the NBA will be much more likely to come back for their senior year.

No comments: