Wednesday, March 30, 2005

R.I.P. Johnny

The great Johnny Cochran, well known in American pop crime culture for defending O.J. Simpson, died yesterday.

I'm sure a lot of people are thinking, "Good riddance."

But I want to just say this: the man was hired to do a job, and he did it well. He did it better than everybody else. Normally, Americans get jazzed about that kind of individual, one who does their job so well and so audaciously that the world stands up and takes notice.

Our legal system is set up so that even if you're guilty (and this is not implying O.J. was.. I wasn't there and I wasn't at the trial either), you are entitled to the best defense your money can buy. And Johnny was worth every penny.

So before we play taps for another lawyer laid to rest, just remember: If the glove doesn't fit, you must acquit.

No comments: