Wednesday, March 09, 2005

A New Compy?

I'm buying a co-worker's old computer on the cheap next week. It's a P4, 1.7 Ghz with a 40G hard drive and a pretty nice video card in it.. there are obviously much faster computers around nowadays, but this thing will still be twice as fast as my current home PC.. plus I'll finally have a computer at home with disk space on par with my iPod (syncing at home is currently not even an option).

But I'm really jazzed about this because with 2 PCs, I'll finally have a "sandbox" computer I can mess with. If anybody knows of good Linux builds for first-timers, let me know.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Yeager,

maybe I can help you out on that.
My (and not ONLY my) favorite Distribution is SuSe Linux. They now have a free, downloadable version up. Before that you could only do a FTP install. That is also not tooo hard but burning an ISO is the easiest way to go.

Have a look at:
http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=6FTuzaANrpE~

Have fun ;),
Elmar

Yeager said...

Awesome! SuSe has gotten a lot of good press... unless I hear something pretty convincing I'll probably go with it. Thanks Elmar!

Anonymous said...

You are welcome. Today, SuSE annonced their next minor version for release in April.

http://www.novell.com/products/linuxprofessional/preview/ If you are looking for other distris, have peek at http://www.linuxiso.org/.

Bye,
Elmar

Anonymous said...

Suse rocks and is, to date, the only distro I'd be willing (and almost did) pay money for. I still may, as yet, when it comes time to reload my server and stabilize my home network.

I'm actually getting ready to set up my notebook to go and fetch it for me.

Anonymous said...

The fetching has begun. You want a DVD of it? Does that new box come with a DVD reader? If not, I have an extra I'm not using. It's a dvd reader-cd burner if you want to toss a few dollars at me :)

*I'm such as easy whore*

Yeager said...

With the amount of tax money I just discovered that I owe the city of Philadelphia for the privelage of living there for 5 months last year, I might have to wait a couple weeks on that..

Anonymous said...

Well, it's yours for the saying so. I'll bring it in for you. Hit me when you can with what you can. I'm so easy :)